It’s no secret that cats are curious creatures, which means they’ll often try to get their paws on anything and everything. Unfortunately, this behavior can be dangerous if it involves certain human foods that are actually poisonous to cats. While a cat may not show any signs of illness from eating a small amount of these foods, even just one nibble can cause serious harm. Read on to learn more about the human foods you should always avoid giving your furry friend.
Onions and Garlic: While these two vegetables are harmless to you and me, they contain thiosulphate which is toxic to cats. Even in small amounts, thiosulphate can damage red blood cells leading to anemia in cats. Onion powder and garlic powder can also be harmful so make sure you double check ingredients before feeding your cat something new.
Chocolate: One of the most well-known toxins for cats (and all animals for that matter), chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rate, restlessness, seizures, and even death in severe cases. Stick with pet-safe treats instead!
Grapes & Raisins: Grapes and raisins have been known to cause kidney failure in cats so it’s important to keep them away from your feline friend altogether. If you think your cat has eaten grapes or raisins, contact the vet immediately as treatment needs to begin right away in order for it to be effective.
Alcohol: Like humans, alcohol is toxic for cats and should never be consumed by them under any circumstances. Alcoholic beverages contain yeast which ferments quickly when ingested by cats leading to intoxication and other serious health issues such as low blood sugar levels or coma.
Keeping our furry friends safe from danger is always important but extra vigilance is needed when it comes to their food intake since some human foods can be poisonous for them. Make sure you know what common household items could potentially harm your cat so that you can take immediate action if necessary! Together we can keep our beloved pets happy and healthy!